Jul 4, 2010

Flea Market Fourth


There is a flea market at the Pasadena City College at every first Sunday of the month. This July it falls on the fourth.


Thanks to my recently acquired, and perturbing habit of waking up early, even on weekends, I got out there at a reasonably early hour. There are a lot of things you can find at a flea market - like old cash registers.

Art,


and more art.


Assorted members...

...of the Animal...


...kingdom.


You can also procure kicking boots.


Also, tin boxes having to do with boots. I bought this box. I don't need it, but I liked it instantly, and I can put things into it. What things, I'm not sure yet.


I Also bought this old portable Remington typewriter. It's sexy, isn't it? For forty bucks it was a steal. I have a thing for old typewriters. My father used to have one - it was old even back then. It wasn't exactly like this, but in the same family.

12 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

Of the collection you've shown, you bought the two choicest items. Both real finds. I'm surprised the market was open on a holiday. Was it less crowded than usual?

Vanda said...

I was surprised too, but it was pretty crowded. There is no stopping a good bargain hunter.

Amy said...

I always intend to go to the flea market there, but I never to seem to manage it. I forget the first Sunday one and the second Sunday one. Though maybe I should try to get to the Rose Bowl one next weekend.

I am drooling over that typewriter. What a great deal!

Vanda said...

I didn't know there was a second Sunday one. I was to the Rose Bowl one once, but I didn't like it as much.

Desiree said...

My daughter will be crazy jealous--we were there that day, she was looking for vintage clothes, me, for vintage glassware. She forgot she lusts after real typewriters!

Vanda said...

Tut-tut. The typewriter is mine! They are definitely something to lust after.

Anonymous said...

I like all the alliteration on the box. And you know, you can never go wrong with comfort, consistency, and cheapness.

dive said...

Great purchases, Vanda!
That looks like a splendid way of enjoying the fourth of July.

Amy said...

Oops, I meant the Rose Bowl when I said second Sunday of the month one. And I didn't make it again this month. :D

Vanda said...

I went to the Rosebowl one once, but I wasn't too impressed. It had far more new stuff than old. You should really try the PCC though.

Patrizzi Intergarlictica said...

Tom found an old Remmington for me. The e and the g stick.

There's a new Flea Market starting up at Dodger Stadium.

Agatha Brimsley said...

For anyone who loves writing... there's just something about the way an old fashioned typewriter feels to the touch, not to mention the Querty: click-click-click of feeling like you're accomplishing something special.
And if you can still, after all these years, put pride in your Typing 101 teacher's eyes, by typing 90 W.P.M. you're halfway to becoming a Hemingway -- or at least an Erica Jong.
I'm bidding on one on Ebay. Hope I win! Thanks for the idea.