Apr 16, 2009

Spring


It is the last chance to check out the poppies in the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve. The peak of the blooming season is over, but it is said that the North Poppy Loop still has flowers to show. I went there a few years ago at the hight of the peek of the poppy bloom, and it was quite a sight. From a distance it looked like somebody dropped hundreds of tons of bright orange stuff on the hills. It's also a nice drive.


Back in the olden days all you had to do is drive to Hollywood to see some colorful flowers. It must have been a long time age when it was covered with poinsettias instead of tourists. Technically they are not spring flowers, but who's counting.


You could also head up to the hills and check out the dogwood, like young Babs did, back in 1941.


Babs' friend, Miss Joyce McGonigle lived in a bungalow in South Pasadena, built in 1924.

3 comments:

Ming said...

Heey! Nice pictures lady :)
I also take pictures of interesting places near my house..
I'd like to hear your opinion!

Anonymous said...

I've always gone too early or too late. But for some reason I love the fact that the little girl of the postcard made it there on time.

Anonymous said...

I took all that poppy information down before the peek and forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder.

I believe I have the poinsettia post card among my paper treasures. Hollywood was a place known for it's beans and poinsettias.