Nov 26, 2011

Gallivanting in the Garden




Last Sunday was a day rotten to the core – rainy, gloomy, good for nothing but staying inside and hibernating. But then Monday did a complete hundred-and-eighty with sunny skies and balmy temperatures.


So I went to The Huntington. It’s a shame, I know, but I’d never been before. The Japanese Garden is closed for sprucing up, but the place is still plenty big to kill several hours.


In one corner I found piles and piles of wonderfully prickly cacti. They made me think of Dive.


For most part you’re allowed to walk on the grass too - that’s how I found these delightfully slimy shrooms. I think they are Velvet Foot Mushrooms, but won’t swear to it.


I found some stone children frolicking around – my favorite kind, they’re very quiet.


Stone people need stone chairs to sit on.


One of these days I need to go back to check out the library and the museum too.

9 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

It's one of my favorite places. A bit of Europe right here in town. Escape, when I can't afford a plane ticket. I'm fooling myself, but it beats pulling my hair out.

I like your pictures.

Vanda said...

A bit of Europe, Japan, South America, etc. It's a great place.

dive said...

Apart from the cactus (precisely which part of me did it remind you of? Hee hee) I thought for a minute you had crossed the pond to England. It's nice to know there's a spot in Southern California where I could feel at home, especially if it rains.

Vanda said...

Which part? Uhm...they look very jolly. Yeah, that's it.

Anonymous said...

I have this notion that you have some esoteric skill sets, such as, knowing whether these mushroom are edible.

Vanda said...

K, you're almost right. I grew up mushroom hunting with my mother who knew her fungi inside and out. I love the many flavors of wild mushrooms.

If I'm correct, and these are indeed Velvet Foot Mushrooms, then they are relatives of the Enoki, and very much edible.

Btw, have you thought about cultivating mushrooms, as you are into gardening and stuff?

Anonymous said...

I lack your skills. Peas, if you carrot all, don't encourage me. Mushrooms are tricky; I'd turnip dead.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

that last photo is beautiful

Vanda said...

Tanks PA.

Karin, you're underestimating yourself.