Jan 19, 2009

Cold Cherry Soup


This is another old Hungarian dish. People on this side of the pond tend to have the same kind of skepticism about it as I had about peanut butter. Traditionally it would be made using sour cherries, but can be made with regular cherries. If made with sour cherries it is acidic enough to serve as a starter, otherwise it is more like a dessert or midday snack. Very refreshing on hot summer day.

Ingredients
1 3/4 lbs cherries
4-cloves
1 cinnamon stick
3/4 cup dry red vine
juice of 1 lemon
2/3 cup of sugar
pinch of salt
2 egg yolks
3/4 cup heavy cream
3 1/3 cup of water

  • Wash and pit the cherries. Place them in a pot with the vine, water, lemon juice, cinnamon, cloves.
  • Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer till cherries are tender, about 20 minutes.
  • Take out half the cherries and in food processor puree them, and return to the soup. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat.
  • Mix the egg yolks into the cream.
  • Slowly, spoonful by spoonful mix hot soup into the cream, whisking constantly. Finally pour the mixture into the soup.
  • Stir in reheat. Careful, don't bring to a boil or the egg yolks will curdle. Remove cinnamon stick.
  • Cool at room temperature, then refrigerate.
  • Serve it chilled.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we should have a blogger picnic/Hungarian potluck day where we all bring one of your Hungarian dishes.
Peanut butter? huh

Anonymous said...

Sweet and savory? I like the meat sticks dipped in peanut butter sauce from -- Indonesia? I'm down with an Hungarian potluck -- I've got the beets.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I meant to tell you -- I was CHASED from a house I was doing a little b&e at/in. Huh, so someone actually lived there -- go figure. Albert was with me, or I swear things would have been ugly.

Anonymous said...

I love this Watermelon soup!